15 June, 2010

Getting rid of the stink

We have been spending much of our spare time working on our house. It is coming along quite well. The biggest project we have tackled so far was ripping out all the flooring. Mike and his dad got the carpet out in one night. The dining room and kitchen were another story. There were 2 layers of laminate on those floors and they were glued and stapled down very well!

If you look in the corner behind my dad, you can see the white laminate that was in the dining room and kitchen. After that was pulled up, we had the not-so-pleasant surprise of all the thin brown laminate under it. The brown stuff was so hard to get off, as you can see; it took shovels, crowbars, and lots of muscle to get up!

This was about the halfway point for the dining room. I think right now it is about 95% up and the sub-floor is visible. There were a few places that we were unable to get the white gunk up from, so we have to see if we can leave it or if we need to sand it down or something before having the new wood floors installed.

Here is the living room after the carpet was torn out. Our house still kind of stunk after the carpet was all removed so we figured better safe than sorry, and decided to cover the floors with BIN. It's a neat product that you just paint onto the floor and it will get rid of/cover up/kill the stinky pet smell. We put it into the rooms that smelled the worst and had the least amount of floor covering (the office, bathrooms, kitchen, and dining room all had at least 2 layers of flooring so we don't think urine got into the sub-floor).

It was pretty simple to do, just roll the paint onto the floor. I felt kind of silly painting floors instead of walls! Thanks to some help from Mike's mom, it only took a couple hours to do the 3 rooms and hallway.

This is the living room after the floors were painted. We are glad that we took the time to do this step because we can already tell that our house no longer smells like animal urine!

I spent some time yesterday patching a few missed holes in the master bedroom and sanding down the ones I did last week. Today and tomorrow I hope to get in there and put the tape where it needs to be because Saturday I start painting!!!


  1. I'm so happy to see a post about the progress at your house. You are doing great! I'm so glad the BIN worked.

  2. If I wasn't going to be at camp, I would totally come help you paint!

  3. I was wondering what you meant on Twitter about painting the floors. I get it now.


Thanks for reading my blog! Leave me a comment so I can read your thoughts on my thoughts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...