31 July, 2008
When I arrived home from Romania on July 2, life was not, as we say, back to normal. Instead, we had an exchange student living with my family. She had arrived the week before so she already was familiar with my parents and brother. For the next three weeks, she stayed with us as part of our family. In the mornings, Angela went to classes at the highschool. In the afternoon, she went on various excursions with the other exchange students. I believe there were 25 other students living in our community. For the most part, we had a good time. The language barrier was often a problem and we had a few miscommunications. It did help that I can speak Spanish, so we were able to understand some things. Her English was very limited however. We were able to introduce her to a culture she had not experienced before. We took here to our church, to the zoo, the beach and other things around our town. She also got to go camping in Canada with my parents. It was a good experience though and it was interesting to learn about her culture.
Hanging out in our room
(Brother not pictured because he moved out!!!)
Another family pose
29 July, 2008
None other than one of the greatest and most well known and well loved worship groups of today...Hillsong United!!! Ok, well, they're not exactly coming to A-town, but I just found out that they are going to be in Chicago next month! Of course, I just found out, so I'm not sure if I'll be going yet, but I know that I'm not the only one who loves Hillsong, so I thought I would pass this information on to anyone else who is interested!!!
And another fun thing that I found online:
Just by choosing pictures, this thing tells you about your personality. It pretty much described me to a T!! Give it a shot and see how accurate it is for you!
25 July, 2008
It's a 2000 Chrysler Sebring...convertible!!!!
I never thought I would own such a nice car!
Haha! Compare the old and new....as much as I love my old Sunfire...I'm sure gonna enjoy cruising around with the top down!
I love the feel of the wind through my hair when I'm driving down the road!
So happy :)
24 July, 2008
In the meantime, did you know that this week is meme week? So in the spirit of participation, here's a meme for you. Feel free to play along :)
01. What time did you get up this morning? 9:00
02. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
03. Last movie you saw in a theatre? Iron Man
04. What is your favorite TV Show? Fresh Prince of BelAir
05. What do you usually have for breakfast? Lucky Charms
06. What is your middle name? Jane
07. What food do you dislike? Fish
08. What is your favorite CD at the moment? A mix of Hip Hop and Rock that I made
09. What kind of car do you drive? Pontiac Sunfire
10. Favorite sandwich? I don't eat sandwiches
11. What characteristic do you despise? Chronic criticism
12. Favorite item of clothing? Weathervane Jeans
13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go right now? Santorini
14. Favorite brand of clothing? American Eagle
15. Where would you retire to? Probably the same place I'm living when it's time to retire
16. Favorite birthday? doesn't really matter
17. Favorite sport to watch? Football
18. Furthest place you are sending this? Not really sending this anywhere, so whoever reads it 20. Are you a morning person or a night person? Both. I can get up super early in the morning (like 4am for work) or stay up super late and night and be just fine
21. What is your shoe size? 9.5
22. Pets? a dog, Tucker
23. News you'd like to share with us? Nothing new or exciting...sorry!
24. What did you want to be when you grew up? an astronaut
25. How are you today? just peachy!
26. What is your favorite candy? Snickers...or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
27. What is your favorite flower? Daisies
28. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? August 3
29. What are you listening to right now? cars driving by, and the keys clicking on the keyboard
30. What was the last thing you ate? A chocolate chip cookie that I baked in my car...more to come on this later
31. Do you wish on stars? Yes, only the first one though
32. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Cerulean
33. How is the weather right now? Hot and sunny, I've spent most of the day outside by the pool!
34. Last person you spoke to on the phone? my dad
35. Favorite restaurant? Main Street Pub
36. Hair color? Brown with natural blonde highlights
37. What was your favorite toy as a child? My Easy Bake Oven (does that count as a toy?)
38. Summer or winter? Summer
39. Hugs or kisses? Kisses
40. What is the most romantic date you have ever had? Going for a long walk at a park, and around a pond, just the two of us talking
41. Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
42. Coffee or tea? Tea
44. What is under your bed? Old magazines.
45. What did you do last night? Hung out with friends, swam and watched 21
46. What are you afraid of? Spiders
47. Salty or sweet? Sweet
48. How many keys on your key ring? 3
49. How many years at your current job? 3 (as of last Saturday!)
50. Favorite day of the week? Saturday
51. How many towns have you lived in? 3
52. Do you make friends easily? yes Acquaintances? yes
19 July, 2008
Also, please especially pray for Jennifer. She broke 2 bones in her arm last night and they have put a temporary cast on her arm for the trip and they will put a permanent one on when she gets home.
17 July, 2008
Wallabees...the dad, the baby and the mama. The baby still fit in it's mom's pouch and the lady at the zoo said that it will go in there until it is 3 times the size it is now!!
We went to the petting zoo area and the goat took a liking to Bonnie!
I love the penguins!
The bears were really cool to watch. This one was taking a bath when we got there. The other one had seen the zoo keeper and thought it was going to get food, so it was pounding on the door for literally 15 minutes! You could hear it at other exhibits!
Angela and Elena
They have a new lion exhibit. It was cool but there is so much room for the lions to hide that it was difficult to watch them.
I thought this was interesting about the turtles...
16 July, 2008
-and maybe some more about Romania
Just bear with me as this is a very busy week! I will resume my normal blogging soon! :)
08 July, 2008
a. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
b. Using only the first page, pick an image.
c. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into fd’s mosaic maker.
1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favorite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favorite dessert?
9. What you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One Word to describe you.
12. Your flickr name.
And I saw this on Diane's blog, so I thought I'd do it too :) It's really accurate!
Your Five Factor Personality Profile
You have high extroversion.
You are outgoing and engaging, with both strangers and friends.
You truly enjoy being with people and bring energy into any situation.
Enthusiastic and fun, you're the first to say "let's go!"
You have medium conscientiousness.
You're generally good at balancing work and play.
When you need to buckle down, you can usually get tasks done.
But you've been known to goof off when you know you can get away with it.
You have high agreeableness.
You are easy to get along with, and you value harmony highly.
Helpful and generous, you are willing to compromise with almost anyone.
You give people the benefit of the doubt and don't mind giving someone a second chance.
You have low neuroticism.
You are very emotionally stable and mentally together.
Only the greatest setbacks upset you, and you bounce back quickly.
Overall, you are typically calm and relaxed - making others feel secure.
Openness to experience:
Your openness to new experiences is medium.
You are generally broad minded when it come to new things.
But if something crosses a moral line, there's no way you'll approve of it.
You are suspicious of anything too wacky, though you do still consider creativity a virtue.
07 July, 2008
Alecia and me waiting for the parade to start
Our church's praise team had a float and they sang and played as they went down the route. It was my favorite float
A good reminder for all of us
After the parade, we went back to Alecia's house. We relaxed for a while and then had a delicious lunch of grilled chicken and grape salad. It's a good thing so many people grill out for the holiday because we didn't have power! It finally came back around 3 on Friday, so we were without for almost 48 hours. We decided to go to the township park and walked around for a while. We went to the car show, watched the tractor pull, and just enjoyed the day. Mike called me when he got out of work so I went over to his house. We went to another friend's house to watch fireworks. A bunch of friends had gone and bought a ton of fireworks, so we launched them off for about 2 hours! It was a lot of fun!!
Alecia's dog relaxing :)
After church on Sunday, Mike and I went up to Big Star Lake. His friend's family has a trailer up there so we went to meet them. We spent the day riding the sea doos and just sitting around being lazy. We had dinner up there and then went out for ice cream on the way home. It was a great way to spend the holiday weekend!
05 July, 2008
01 July, 2008
Today is my last day here. I went to the market and I will spend the rest of the day packing and relaxing around here. I will leave here tomorrow morning at 5 and my plane leaves Cluj at 9:25. I will get into Grand Rapids at 6:23 tomorrow night.
The cabana we stayed in
The view from almost the top of the mountain
These girls clung to me the whole week. They were so sweet... Melita (Romanian version of Melissa), Ioana, and Adelina.
This is the view of the mountains I went to on Saturday