CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

28 July, 2011

Listening to Your Body

I didn't work out today.  I was supposed to, but my body needed a break.  And sometimes, you just have to listen to your body!

I have to admit, I really struggled with not going to the gym today.  It's become so much of my daily routine that I feel kind of "off" when I don't go.  Of course my mind went to the thought line of  If I don't work out, I'm not going to burn those calories.  And if I don't work out anything I eat today will make me gain weight and all my hard work will be down the drain.  Now obviously I know that not working out for a day will not cause me to gain a bunch of weight, but I have to admit, my mind did go there.

And that's when I had to step in and tell those thoughts to get away.  Thoughts like that aren't going to help.  I've realized that I need to start listening to my body more.  It knows me better than I think it does, and sometimes it needs a day of rest.

My typical workout is cardio on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then strength training and short cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  I always take a rest day on Sunday.  This week I did a double workout on Tuesday, my usual morning workout and then I did the Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit.  It was intense, and I think that's what did me in.  Last night I felt something pop in my back and I knew it was time for a break.  I've also been pushing myself harder on the treadmill, elliptical, and with weights so I think my body was telling me what my mind didn't want to hear. 

But you know what?  I don't feel "fat" because I didn't work out today.  I know that I'm not going to gain 10 pounds because of it.  I'm listening to my body, it feels right, and it feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Leave me a comment so I can read your thoughts on my thoughts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...