CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

27 March, 2011

Bench Makeover

My mom recently gave me this old organ bench so we (Mike) would have a place to sit when he put his shoes one.  We decided it would go in the garage.  Then one day I got to thinking about how boring the bench looked and how much extra paint I had left-over from painting our house.  My brain started working and over the course of a weekend, I transformed a dingy old wooden bench to a bright and cheery shoe container, rack, and bench.
This is how the bench looked before.
I think the inside of the bench will be perfect to store my flip flops this summer!  I also am thinking about attaching a shelf under the bench to store Mike's shoes on.
First I sanded the bench to get rid of some of the varnish (it was so old that most of the varnish had already worn off!)
Then I painted it "Burlywood".  My original intent was to paint the bench twice and then go over it with sandpaper to rough it up and give it a worn look.  I realized after one coat of paint that you could still see some of the original wood color through the paint, which was exactly what I wanted, so I only did one coat!
I didn't trust myself to freehand the flip-flop shape, so I used a pair of mine and traced it onto the bench.
This is my final project!
I love how bright and cheery it looks!  It will be perfect for our shoes and it sure brightens up our garage!







3 comments:

  1. It looks really cheery! What a great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just adorable. Your hard work really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so super cute and creative! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! Leave me a comment so I can read your thoughts on my thoughts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...