This is how the bench looked before.
I think the inside of the bench will be perfect to store my flip flops this summer! I also am thinking about attaching a shelf under the bench to store Mike's shoes on.
First I sanded the bench to get rid of some of the varnish (it was so old that most of the varnish had already worn off!)
Then I painted it "Burlywood". My original intent was to paint the bench twice and then go over it with sandpaper to rough it up and give it a worn look. I realized after one coat of paint that you could still see some of the original wood color through the paint, which was exactly what I wanted, so I only did one coat!
I didn't trust myself to freehand the flip-flop shape, so I used a pair of mine and traced it onto the bench.
This is my final project!
I love how bright and cheery it looks! It will be perfect for our shoes and it sure brightens up our garage!